Modular Construction for Chemical Mass Transfer Systems
Koch Modular Process Systems, LLC. specializes in the design and supply of modular mass transfer systems. Koch Modular custom engineers every modular system specifically for each application.
Modular systems are complete process units, pre-fabricated in a module fabrication shop remote from the customer’s plant site. Modular systems are typically built indoors in a controlled, assembly-line fashion with all of the added efficiencies afforded by that practice/procedure. This, in turn, minimizes the amount of work and resources needed by the customer in the field to construct an operational process unit.
The typical modular system will include columns, reactors, drums, decanters, heat exchangers, pumps and other types of process equipment, all mounted within a structural steel frame. The structural steel frame serves as a shipping support and provides access to the equipment during normal operation and for maintenance purposes. After the process equipment is installed within the structural frame, the piping components, the field instrumentation, and the electrical wiring are completed. It is also typical for items like tracing, thermal insulation, lighting, control system, safety showers, and fire protection systems to be installed in the module at the assembly shop. A rigorous testing program is conducted on all these components before shipment to the field. The customer’s mechanical specifications, standards, and guidelines are followed in every respect, assuring each customer that the system provided will meet all of their expectations.
Modular SystemsFeasibility StudiesVLE/LLE DevelopmentProcess SimulationsProcess DesignPilot Plant Testing
Shell & Tube HX DesignEquipment DesignDetailed Engineering3D CAD ModelingProject Manage
DistillationLiquid-Liquid ExtractionSteam StrippingAbsorption
What Can We Help You With?
For over 25 years, Koch Modular has successfully designed and constructed mass transfer systems for the worldwide Chemical Processing Industry. Our customers rely upon us for our quality products and technical expertise.
As a single-source supplier we can provide you with the following services:
- Feasibility studies
- Process design and performance guarantee
- Detailed engineering
- In-house pipe & pressure vessel stress analysis by finite element method
- Project management
- Modular construction
- Full automation and control system supply
- Startup assistance and operator training
- Continued service and advice
How We Do It?
ModularLaunchTM was developed to help chemical process industry teams make critical decisions on process pathway development and project execution intelligently and efficiently. In this fast-paced decision landscape, our chemical process industry clients, from established leaders to developing technology companies, rely on Koch Modular to sit down, have that rapid-uptake collaboration, and get to work. Click here for more information of our ModularLaunchTM approach.
Advantages of Modular Construction
Why would you choose modular construction from Koch Modular over conventional field construction? Here are 5 of the most common reasons our customers give:
- Shorter Schedules – Building a process unit in a shop, with a well-controlled fabrication sequence, can save months when compared to building outside in a plant environment where work is subject to weather-related delays, work permits, work stoppages, waiting for cranes, etc. A typical schedule for delivery of a complete modular process unit, fabricated in stainless or carbon steel, is 7-8 months from receipt of a Purchase Order, including all engineering and design activities.
- Lower Cost/Lump Sum Bid – Koch Modular has made a science out of studying fabrication efficiencies and construction sequences in our module shops. Typically a 25-30% reduction in cost can be realized with modular construction when compared to field construction. Prices quoted for modular constructed systems are also firm/lump sum prices, not T&M.
- Construction Proceeds While Waiting for Permits – Offsite construction of entire process units in our module shop can proceed while permits are in-process. This can be a significant time-saver because permits often take months to obtain and field construction can’t begin until the permits are in hand.
- Minimal Plant Site Interruption – In the case where a new process unit is built alongside an existing operating chemical manufacturing unit, there are many hazards and safety risks associated with the field construction activities. Ask yourself this QUESTION – “Do I want dozens of contract construction workers walking around in my chemical plant?” If the answer to this question is no, then modular construction (off-site) makes a lot of sense. It minimizes the potential hazards and production interruptions that can occur.
- Single Source Responsibility – Is your project management/project organization stretched to the limit? Building your process unit in our module shop will unload your project team because you will place only ONE purchase order for the entire system. Our project team will do the rest.
As a result of utilizing modular design and fabrication techniques for this multipurpose batch and continuous vacuum distillation system, Koch Modular Process Systems was able to significantly reduce the installed cost and shorten the construction schedule for the expansion project of this specialty aroma chemicals manufacturer.
DID YOU KNOW? Modular units are also quite versatile. Although most of our modules are installed outdoors many are also installed inside of a building. Modules can easily be sided to protect operating equipment and personnel against the harshest of weather conditions or to shield the process components from the view of neighbors and potential competitors.
Modular Mercaptan Distillation System
Modular construction of this mercaptan distillation system allowed easy installation through the roof of a congested processing building with little site interruption. It took less than 1 day for installation from the time the module was off loaded off the shipping truck and bolted to the process building’s floor.
Products & Services – Koch Modular Offerings
We specialize in the supply of fully pre-assembled modular mass transfer systems that have been custom engineered to meet your specifications. These systems can range in size from semi-units to full scale production units. Depending on the customizations requested, the modules supplied may contain all equipment including columns, exchangers, pumps and tanks, mounted within structural steel framing with piping, instrumentation, and electrical wiring pre-installed.